Bacon & Hashbrown Egg Bake
Egg bakes make great breakfasts because once they are cooked, breakfast is easy and ready to go. This breakfast is Whole30 and Paleo compatible.
- 1 large Japanese sweet potato, peeled and shredded (about 3 cups shredded)
- 1 small yellow onion, large dice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 T coconut aminos
- 1/3 C coconut milk
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- 12 eggs
- 12oz bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 T avocado oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the shredded sweet potato with the avocado and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
- Press the shredded potato firmly in a 9-inch pie pan; it should resemble a crust, with the potato going up the sides of the pie pan. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- In a medium sauté pan, add the chopped bacon and cook on medium-low until it’s crispy. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pan and set it aside.
- Drain the bacon fat from the pan, leaving about 1-2 tablespoons of fat in the pan. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and cook until the onion is translucent about 7-10 minutes. Add the minced garlic and continue cooking for about 1-2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, coconut milk, coconut aminos, and the nutritional yeast. Then add the bacon, onion/garlic mixture, and green onion and thoroughly mix everything.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie pan with the sweet potato crust and place it in the oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. The center should be set up and no longer wiggle when it’s fully cooked.