Chicken & Biscuits Casserole
This comfort dish is Paleo and gluten-free. The biscuits come together easily and make the perfect topping to this casserole.
- 5 T ghee
- 1 small yellow onion, small dice
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch-thick
- 2 celery stalks, 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/3 C cassava flour
- 1 C chicken broth
- 2 1/3 C + 3 T full fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 T lemon juice
- 2 chicken breasts(about 1.5 lbs.), cooked and diced
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 lemon, zested
- 3 T unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes (use ghee if dairy-free)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet on medium heat add 3 tablespoons ghee, onions, carrots, and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to cook evenly. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Push the vegetables to the side of the pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ghee to the pan. When it’s melted, sprinkle 1/3 cup cassava flour over the melted ghee and whisk the ghee and flour together. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Slowly pour the chicken broth into the mixture while whisking. Once the broth is fully incorporated, stir the vegetables into the mixture.
- Whisk 2 cups of coconut milk into the pan. Add the Dijon, 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning and whisk until everything is combined. Fold in the diced chicken breast and pour the mixture into a 9x9 baking dish.
- In a medium bowl whisk 1 cup of cassava flour, baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, and lemon zest. Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture until crumbly. Drizzle 1/3 cup and 3 tablespoons of coconut milk on top and stir together just until the mixture is combined. Do not over mix.
- Use a spring-loaded ice cream scoop to make balls out of the biscuit dough. Place 9 biscuit balls on top of the chicken mixture. Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- The biscuits should have a slight golden color when they are done. Enjoy!