Creamy Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms
This is a tasty dish that combines balsamic vinegar and caramelized onions. It's also Whole30 and Paleo-compatible.
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4oz shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced
- 1 T fresh thyme
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 C full fat coconut milk
- 2 T avocado oil
- Sprinkle the chicken tenderloins with ½ teaspoon sea salt and pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon avocado oil to a large sauté pan on medium heat. Sear the chicken tenders in the pan, cooking each side for 5-6 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to the pan along with the onions and ½ teaspoon sea salt.
- Continue cooking the onions until they caramelize, stirring often to keep them from burning.
- Once the once are caramelized, add the garlic, thyme, and mushrooms to the pan. Stir everything together and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the balsamic vinegar. Add the coconut milk and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Stir thoroughly.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and serve.