Loaded Mashed Japanese Sweet Potatoes
This dish is a spin on a classic dish, using Japanese sweet potatoes and caramelized onions. A bonus is this is Whole30 and Paleo compatible.
- 3 large Japanese sweet potatoes
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 T avocado oil
- 6 T grass fed butter or ghee
- 1 C full fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 6 pieced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- chives, thinly sliced for garnish
- Place the diced sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Sprinkle some sea salt into the pot and bring the water to a boil. Boil until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 12-17 minutes. Drain the potatoes and place them in a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sauté pan on medium heat, add the avocado oil, onions, and ½ teaspoon of sea salt. Continue cooking and stirring often until the onions are caramelized about 10-12 minutes. Set the onions aside.
- Add the butter, coconut milk, 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt, pepper, and rosemary to the bowl with the potatoes. Use a potato masher to make the potatoes smooth. If skins were left on the potatoes, there will be some lumps.
- Add the caramelized onions and half the bacon pieces to the potatoes and mix thoroughly. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and top with the remaining bacon pieces. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. The potatoes should be golden brown.
- Top with chives and serve.