This is one of my favorite soups. It's easy to make, full of nutrient-dense ingredients, and so delicious. It's Whole30 and Paleo compatible.
• 1 lb. Italian sausage (mild or spicy, whatever your preference is)
• 1-12oz package bacon, chopped
• 1 large yellow onion, small dice
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 8 C chicken broth
• 3 medium Japanese sweet potatoes, quartered and thinly sliced
• 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 4 C chopped kale
• 1 C full fat coconut milk
1. In a large pot on medium heat, add the sausage. Chop it into small pieces and continue cooking until the sausage is cooked through, no pink should remain. Remove the sausage from the pan and set it aside
2. Add the chopped bacon to the pot and continue cooking until the fat is rendered and the bacon pieces are crispy. Remove the bacon pieces and set them aside with the sausage. Drain the fat from the pot leaving about 2 tablespoons in the pot.
3. Add the onions and garlic to the pot with the bacon fat. Sweat the mixture for about 5 minutes, the onions should be translucent and the mixture should be fragrant. Add the chicken broth, potatoes, sea salt, bacon, and sausage. Bring the soup to a simmer and continue cooking for about 10 minutes, the potatoes should be tender after cooking.
4. Add the chopped kale and continue simmering for 5-10 more minutes. Then add the coconut milk. Stir everything together and serve.